The house now known as the Carmichael-Stewart House was built in 1880 by James William Carmichael (1819-1903), a prominent business-man, ship-builder and politician, as a wedding present for his son James M Carmichael and wife Christian (nee Matheson). They had three daughters; the eldest, Maria (1884-1959), married Robert Bruce Stewart of PEI (1886-1962) who became Managing Director of the J. W. Carmichael Company. After the death of her parents the Stewarts lived in the house for the rest of their lives.  Having no heirs, the house was bequeathed to the Town of New Glasgow to be used for the benefit of the community, and it has been operated as a historical museum by the Pictou County Historical Society since 1964.